Laidhay Croft Museum
Laidhay Croft is a 200 year old rush thatched Caithness longhouse. It is a typical example of the old style croft dwellings that were once a common feature of the Scottish landscape.
The Croft Museum consists of the longhouse, incorporating the dwelling, stable & byre at each end, a detached barn with its original cruck roof and a cart shed. There is also a modern shed, which houses the museums large collection of farming implements.
Laidhay Croft comprises of 16 acres of arable, with rights over 15 acres of rough grazing. It came into the possession of the Bethune family in 1842 and stayed with them until 1968. The last person to live in it was William (Beil).
The building came up for sale in 1969 and was bought by Malcolm Cameron. Around this time, the proprietor of the Portland Arms Hotel, Lybster, suggested that the croft should be restored as a museum. The Laidhay Trust was set up in 1970 and the museum opened to the public in 1974.
|Address: Laidhay, Dunbeath, Caithness, KW6 6EH|
|Tel: 01593 731244|
Web Address: www.laidhay.co.uk
Open Daily Easter - October: 10:00 - 18:00