Prestongrange Industrial heritage Museum
The museum was opened in 1993 and charts the development of local industries from coal mining to pottery, brewing, brick & pipe making and salt & soap manufacturing.
There are changing exhibitions relating to the industrial heritage of the area.
The museum sits on the site of the former Prestongrange Colliery which opened around 1852 and closed in 1962. Many of its structures still remain, including the winding engine, power-house and the pit-head baths, which now serve as the visitor centre.
The beam engine is a Cornish engine which was used to pump water from the coal mine and is the only one in Scotland. It was eventually replaced with electric pumps around eight years before the colliery was closed.
The Visitor Centre has a small café and a children’s area.
|Address: Morrison’s Haven, Prestonpans, East Lothian, EH32 9RX|
|Tel: 0131 653 2904|
The site is open to the public all day, throughout the year.
The Visitor Centre & Exhibitions are open between 11:30 - 16:30 from April - September